
My children have not been rocked to sleep with your traditional lullabyes. For the most part, they have been rocked and bounced, kissed and cuddled. Every now and then, they would get a song. When Samuel was born, I thought he was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid my eyes on. His big blue eyes were beautiful from the minute I saw them and I was amazed by his chunky arms and legs and chubby cheeks. He was my precious peach (and still is . . .but shhh - he'll tell you that's our little secret). So whenever I sang to him, he heard "Beautiful Boy, Darling Boy" by John Lennon. Great song.
Close your eyes,
Have no fear,
The monsters gone,
He's on the run and your {mommy's} here,
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful Boy,
Before you go to sleep,
Say a little prayer,
Every day in every way,
It's getting better and better,
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful Boy,
Out on the ocean sailing away,
I can hardly wait,
To see you to come of age,
But I guess we'll both,
Just have to be patient,
Yes it's a long way to go,
But in the meantime,
Before you cross the street,
Take my hand,
Life is just what happens to you,
While your busy making other plans,
Beautiful,Beautiful, beautiful,Beautiful Boy,
Darling,Darling,Darling {Samuel}.
Samuel and I listen to it on the CD player in the truck sometimes. He calls it the monster song (first line of song). . .but he knows it is his song. He knows that mommy has sang that to Samuel and he is the beautiful boy. It makes him feel good. And it makes me feel good to know that we have a special song. . .one that we can sing when he gets older. One that we can play in the car on those days when I have embarrassed him, made him mad, not given in to teen angst or juvenile tantrums. Maybe it will be our bridge to remember the days when I held him in my arms and rocked him to sleep. . . when I held him in my arms and we danced in the living room. . .or just when I held him in my arms.
He is getting so big now. August 14th is coming very fast and I know that my little baby boy is getting further and further away from snuggles, cuddles and me tickling his tummy. He'll really be a big boy soon. I keep asking him to stay little. Every time I do he says, "sorry Mommy, I can't. I have to grow up. That's the way it is." Such wisdom from a three year old.
Jacob has his own song too. I try my best to keep them separate. I sang Jacob a little bit of the chorus of Beautiful Boy one night and Samuel wanted to know right away what I was singing to him. I could tell - it was his song and how dare I sing it to Jacob. So, I try to be careful. Jacob gets "Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)" by the Dixie Chics - wide variety at the Irving household.
Dragon tales and the "water is wide"
Pirate's sail and lost boys fly
Fish bite moonbeams every night
And I love you
Godspeed, little man Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams
The rocket racer's all tuckered out
Superman's in pajamas on the couch
Goodnight moon, we'll find the mouse
And I love you
Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams
God bless mommy and match box cars
God bless dad and thanks for the stars
God heard "Amen," wherever you are
And I love you
Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams
Right now my beautiful boy and sweet little man are tucked away and sleeping. Hopefully they'll sleep through the night and awake from sweet, peaceful dreams. Godspeed. . .

No comments:
Post a Comment