Do you remember being in school and when the weather turned warm, a kind of ants-in-your-pants syndrome would hit all at once? You couldn't pay attention to your teacher, you couldn't pay attention to your parents, you lost your homework, you didn't do your homework, you retained not one bit of information you learned in the classroom...
For whatever reason, you just wanted it to all be over. The anticipation of summer was always better than the summer actually turned out to be, but the anticipation...the anticipation...
Samuel's entire semester at school has been like Spring Fever. Well, the homework part, anyway! He has done well with his knowledge retention, but has turned out to be somewhat of a daydreamer. He daydreams in class when he is supposed to be doing his work. He gets distracted at home by everything from his fingernails to a random, fleeting thought in his head. Getting his work finished has been like pulling teeth each and every day. Kevin and I have been at our wits end. We tried everything from punishment to reward systems. Nothing seemed to work. Not that Samuel isn't bright...that is probably the biggest issue. He is very, very smart. He retains knowledge very well and memorizes things easily. His mind does well when analyzing things and he doesn't just memorize, he learns. He understands the why part that other children seem to miss. Samuel is one smart cookie.
But today, today Samuel did an AMAZING job on his homework. At my dad's suggestion (thanks Dad!) I moved Samuel up to his room. We have an easel, that when turned around backwards has a little desk inside. I set him up in the corner of his room, with his back to the wall and the easel blocking the view of all his toys, and all distractions. Samuel thought this was a great idea. I gave him his worksheets...3 math worksheets and 3 writing worksheets. I told him he knew how to do the work, and he needed to read the instructions on each page. I would come check on him periodically, and anything he didn't know how to do to skip, or come ask me.
I headed into my office and left him to his work. About 15 minutes later, Samuel came down stairs. Tentatively, he asked me a question. I am sure he was afraid of getting in trouble, since other homework days had been littered with scolding and punishments. I answered his question, then noticed that the worksheet he was holding was the third worksheet in his stack of 6... and one side had already been completed.
"Samuel, did you do the other 2 worksheets already? Is this your third worksheet?"
"Yes".
"Let me see that"
I looked it over. The completed side was 100% accurate. The question that he asked me finished the other side, and that too was accurate.
I sent him back upstairs to finish his other worksheet and followed a few moments later to check his work. It was all completed, it was all accurate. I was so impressed.
He rounded out the rest of the day with flying colors, finishing the remaining worksheets, taking a break to head to guitar lessons and a much deserved trip for ice cream with friends. After dinner, we finished his other work, and a very satisfied Samuel headed off to bed.
Will this change be permanent? I am not sure. Was it a much needed change for today? Absolultely.
My mom has always said that this site is like a love letter to my children. If ever there were a day to write Samuel a love letter, it would be today. What great strides he made today. My heart is swelling with joy and pride at how well he did, how hard he tried and how proud he was of himself. If I could bottle that feeling for him and pour it out in little drops whenever he gets discouraged or loses his focus, I would. But I can't. So I am writing this love letter to remind both of us that today, April 29, 2008, he did it. He did his work by himself, he stayed focused, he did it correctly, he felt good, I felt good and everything that was off balance fell back into place.
Regardless of how long this lasts, I do love him and always will. He is the best birthday present I ever received and he always will be. He is my peach (he'll tell you that is our secret...but the secret is out). Today, my little boy grew up a little bit more. And this time, it felt really, really good.
No comments:
Post a Comment