Sunday, February 04, 2007

Rocky Mountain High

After several years of not heading to the mountains for our annual camping trip, we finally got to head North and have a great visit with Marmee, Blythe and our beloved mountains!

The boys had a great time, getting acquainted with the snow and learning about sledding, snow angels and snowmen. This was not Samuel's first time with the snow, but it was his first time to see snow that actually had some depth and substance! Texas snow is typically short lived and mixed with ice. So, Samuel experienced true Colorado powder.





Marmee bought the boys a sled, which greeted us first thing when we arrived. Samuel couldn't wait to try it out, and Jacob just went along for the ride. They both loved it and did a little bit of sledding almost every day.

After a nice hard snow, everyone ventured out into the yard and took their turns at making snow angels and snowmen. I think it has been a long time since Marmee's yard was littered with little footprints and tracks through the snow - it was a fun sight to look out and see the remanants of all th fun we had in the snow.


Here is Samuel's picture perfect snow angel! His first of many snow angels!


Here are my boys in the bluffs behind Marmee's house. Samuel and Kevin had a great time going on a hike, one of the "warmer" days. They saw a herd of deer that was extremely close to them, and were able to watch them meander their way through the mountains. The views were amazing - cold blue skies contrasting with the white snow. Picture perfect.





Here are the Two Tykes with a stunning view of Pike's Peak in the background.


Jacob LOVED the mountains and the fresh air!



As did Samuel...



Here is Meghan with the boys. This was her first time to Colorado and her first time to experience real snow! She was ready to head back to Texas!

The kids loved their time with Marmee as much as she loved her time with them!

And, we got to meet Blythe's then-boyfriend-now-fiance, Aaron, aka Rock Star. You know, I think it was the hours of wrestling and playing with Samuel, including creating new monikers like Crane Man and (my favorite) Nerdy Boyfriend Man that really brought Rock Star to the point of proposing. I mean, who could resist the thought of having a house full of wild boys to wrestle the night away? Seriously, congrats to the happy couple! Now RS can be known as Nerdy Fiance Man!
So, since it has taken me weeks to get this post done, I will finally wrap it up. We had a great visit and missed Blythe and Marmee as soon as we left. We have been scoping out one story houses near by for Marmee (hint hint) and Samuel is ready to show RS his Texas wrestling moves. Our door is always open! Come down for a visit!

4 comments:

C.L. said...

Love the pictures! I am so happy you posted more about the trip. I especially like the picture of just Jakob in the mountains and Samuel throwing up snow. LOVE it!! We cannot wait to see you in June!
Artur and I always talk about if we move back to the states that we want to live in CO. It is sooo beautiful and close enough to TX to visit all the time! (what's 12 hours?...oh wait, unless you have kiddies...) :):) I love you!

Michelle said...

Caitlin, I am laughing so hard at your comment! First, I was wondering, "when did Samuel throw up snow and why did I post a picture of THAT??" and then I figured out what you were saying!! And second, Germany has struck a chord...look at how you spelled Jacob!!!

So, because my hormones are WAY out of wack, I laughed HYSTERICALLY at this for way too long and I laughed way to hard...but thanks for the laugh anyway! I love you!!!!!

C.L. said...

LOL:) Well I am glad I got a laugh out of you!:) I am TOTALLY having problems with spelling and everything . Now I am to the point where I am mixing the words together so they don't make sense at all in German or English!!

Blythe Owen Hunt said...

No, Michelle, I laughed really hard, too, and I'm not hormonal!!! That was a good one, Caitlin!

Anyway, we miss you so much. It's taken a long time to get used to the quietness of the house without the laughter of the boys. Thanks for a super kul visit!